Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Prepare for a Consult?
Here are some tips that will help you get the most out of your time with me:
PRIOR TO OUR APPOINTMENT:
• Keep a LOG for feeding, diapers and pumping. It can be basic. This info helps in my assessment.
THE DAY OF OUR CONSULT:
• Firstly, relax.
Please don't worry whether the house is clean or if you have showered. Our daytime appointment might just feel like the middle of the night for you. I'm checking on you, not checking for tidy-ness.
• Eat Something and enjoy a big glass of water.
• Wear Something Comfortable. I will need to examine you and I will be encouraging you to do
skin to skin with baby, so comfy pants and a top that is easy to take off and on is ideal. PJs are
• If you are pumping, please have your pump set up ready to go as I may want to make sure it is
working properly and that it fits you correctly. Please DO NOT PUMP just before our appointment.
• If your baby is NOT LATCHING, please have an ounce or two of expressed milk on hand if
• Please get out any PACIFIERS, BOTTLES, or other feeding implements that you are using, so I can see them. They are part of the clinical picture.
• If you have nipple cracks/wounds and are using any NIPPLE CREAMS OR OTHER PRODUCTS to help them heal, please have them on hand so I can see them too.
• And finally, FEED THE BABY. Ideally, snuggle up with your baby for a feeding about 1 hour to 1.5 hours before our appointment time. You can do this whether baby is latching or is being fed by other means.
When baby is done, stay snuggled in together. Our consult will be much more productive if baby is calm and just starting to get hungry soon after our visit begins.
Do I have to pay for breastfeeding help?
No. With a referral from your doctor, nurse practitioner or midwife, we are able to offer OHIP covered video OTN eVisits, clinic visits, and home visits (when available).
Can you help with low supply, nipple or breast pain, tongue ties, mastitis, blocked ducts, latch and positioning, pumping, weaning and more?
Are eVisits safe and private?
Yes, you will see your Lactation Consultant and a Pediatrician at every OTN eVisit via secure video from your computer, tablet or smartphone in the privacy of home.
How do I prepare for an eVisit?
Thank you for your patience, I will be with you as soon as possible.